Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ice fishing the midwest in December


You want to have a pile of fun and bring home some good meat, go Ice fishing in December in the Midwest. I know, I know, most people think I’m crazy and they may be right but I can’t get enough of it. We go so often that even my dog is hooked (pun intended). She stares at the bobber waiting for it move like some kind of psychopath. I’ve learned how to catch’em and have the right gear to stay warm. My goal is always to catch at least one meal of fish per trip. Some days are diamonds and some days are duds. If they’re not biting or I get cold, I leave

Ice fishing tackle is pretty reasonably priced and you don’t need much to be successful.  For an initial investment of around $20.00 it’s possible to buy all the gear you’ll need and it can last a life time. The list is short. Get a couple of jig poles like the one in the picture, half a dozen different colored jigs, 2 or 3 bobbers, an ice auger (for cutting holes), ice scooper (for cleaning holes) and a 5 gallon bucket. However, fishing in less than 10F is pretty tough without an Ice shanty. So if you’re going to get hard core about getting out there I’d suggest buying one. There’s a number of really good new portable shanties on the market or get one used off the internet. Craigslist and Amazon usually have lots of selection to pick from. Also you can get everything you need at garage sales for pennies on the dollar.

The more often you go fishing the better you’ll get at catchin’em. Ignoring the entertainment value any investment you make in tackle and equipment will eventually pay for itself in meals. Fresh water fish caught in cold water are arguably the best tasting on earth. Just remember to take only what you need, leave the rest for seed and eat what you kill.

Fishin Dog

Beaver Dam Tip Up

2 comments:

  1. I think perch out of the ice is my favorite fish. No, walleye. Wait, crappie is really good. Ok, variety is the spice of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the dog deserves a fish!

    ReplyDelete